Original german version
An article from the Fellbacher Zeitung dated March 1996
4th Fellbach walk of the culture community in Schmiden.
First Bürkle came from Fellbach
On Saturday afternoon, forty interested citizens stood in front of the Schmidener city hall, blinking expectantly into the sun. Dr. Roland Jäger of the Fellbach culture community was pleased about the run, which the "Fellbach walks" find. A "native" Schmidener and hobby-historian, shoot of an old-established Schmidener family, guided through the core of the second biggest Fellbach area for two and a half hours: the graduate engineer Hans Kauffmann, otherwise employe in the Stuttgart government committee.
The fertile Schmidener land was already appreciated in the past. The Celts settled at today's sports facilities and also Alemannic graves were found on Schmidener district. Probably there was an armorer in the time of the Carolingians, giving the location its name.
Originally, one of the two big Schmidener families, the Kauffmanns came from Cannstatt, their progenitor had married into the "Große Haus" after the 30-year war. The first Bürkle already came a little bit earlier from Fellbach to Schmiden, in 1608. His nickname was "crooked wood" because he was coach builder by profession. The Bürkles went very fertile, one had 28 children with two women, of whom however survived less than the half.
After the thirty years' war there were only eight families left in Schmiden. In 1890 there were 900 inhabitants again, who could share the considerable number of 9 inns. The Schmidener were known to be a little clumsy but also prosperous. They had received the nickname "Wackelbäuch" in the Rems valley. The tower of the Dionysius church is the oldest building of the area, it dates from the Carolingian time. Originally, the tower was a secular building; it became modified to a choir-tower-church in 1150. In 1350 the today's choir and 100 years later the nave were built. The tower was increased twice in the following period. The choir was painted completely in 1480, but in the reformation time the frescos have been totally roughcasted. They have been rediscovered in 1960 and have been exposed arduously.
"History and place-news complete themself like the time and room", quoting Hans Kauffmann, Moltke so. One learned much of the history and some stories about the old Schmidener courts and her residents. The "Papsthof" which belonged to the cloister of Lorch was mentioned the first time in 1300, it was once the biggest court in Schmiden with 210 acres of land. A winepress existed also - it was broken off at 1800, though. Also stately courts were the "Kälbleshof" who owned as unusual feature two residential buildings and barns, the "Butterhof" as well as the "Hintere und vordere Schnitzbiegel". The name is derived from dried pear pieces, which the farmer's wife liked to distribute to the schoolchildren. The gigantic Zehntscheuer of 1596 was broken off in the year 1960.
Indisputable piece of jewelry of Schmiden is the "Große Haus" which was restored by the town expensively. The builder Hans Frech - the family died out in the thirty years' war - was presumably a wine dealer: the big vault cellar can take hold of barrels with altogether 50.000 liter of wine.
At the end of these extremely lively history hours, the people set together in the inn "Hirsch". There, the one or other still knew to report many interesting things about his ancestors.
Back to homepage