(The page references are related to the original book.)
Hier gehts zur deutschen Orginalversion
(special thanks to Kathy Bonnell for her review ...)
About old familynames and families
For many centuries our ancestors bore only one name. It was not the custom before the end of the 11th century, to add to the commonly used first name a second name or surname as a distinguishable marking. In this way, the sex, family, or clan names developed relatively quickly, after the high nobility had made use of their inherited clan names.
Starting in the middle of the 13th century (from 1275 to 1351), the Herren (knights) of Fellbach ("de Velebach") appear in documents. From other old documents dating around 1330, we learn about a number of clan names of people domiciled at Fellbach at that time. Mentioned are the citizens Benz der Degger, Eberlin Goezwin (Geßwein), Beringer der Oefner, Konrad Utzmann, Wiprecht Sibot, Arnold and Kunz Wiprecht (Weiprecht), further the judges (comparable to members of municipal councils today) Heinrich Bayenstein (presumably coming from Beinstein), who was the Amann (bailiff) of Fellbach, Kunz der Bonberr, Ruf der Gaegeller, Konrad der Mayer, Hermann der Oefner, Heinrich Rutwart, Hermann der Sutor (shoemaker) and Heinrich der Wingartner (winefarmer). — Some centuries later — still in the 14th century — we find for Fellbach the names: Bentz der Eglinger, Berthold (Bentz) der Frustinger, beeing mayor and overseer in Fellbach, Haintz Laimlin, Konrad Noppe, Konrad Stüwse, Ruf and Kunz der Vogel as well as Kunz Wunstein, judge in Fellbach.
From the 15th century are handed down following names from Fellbach: Bentz Aldinger, Adam Beck, Ulrich Dietmar, Jakob Eglinger, Hans Geuser, Benz Geyser, also beeing judge in Fellbach war, Martin Greck, who is mentioned as Armmann (unfree farmer) of the earl Ulrich V. of Wirtemberg, Michel Gugelin (Kugel, Kugler?), Endris Rebstock and Auberlin Ruchmayer.
For the first six decades of the sixteenth century and during the time of the reformation in the Schwabenland (about 1530 to 1535), no statements are found about clans living in Fellbach.
In the old duchy of Wirtemberg, Christoph von Wirtemberg (1515-1568) directed the rectories to set up birth records in 1558. This was copied from similar proceedings which had begun in 1525 in Switzerland, Strassburg, Frankfurt and the neighboring area of Ansbach. Later followed the keeping of marriage and death records. In Fellbach, nearly all the inhabitants belonged to the Lutheran religion. They have done so since the introduction of the Reformation, about 400 years ago. Baptism records were begun in May 1558, marriage records in 1565 (after the Interim) and death records in 1582.
These old parish records, often written in nearly unreadable goosequill scribbling, are of great value not only to the genealogical researcher, but to the historian. Several parsons felt obligated to enter in these books various facts of village life. This exceeded their instructions of mentioning names and dates only. Most comments are found after death entries.
Here we list the clan names of Fellbach which appear in the earliest records: Aldinger, Auberlin, Bausch, Beerlin (Bährle), Bircklin, Bolz, Briem (moved from Scharnhausen), Diemann, Fischer, Felger, Frech, Glauner, Glock, Hahn, Harscher, Hauser, Hewbach, Hornung, Hurlebausch, Katzenstein, Kintzinger, Knauß, Kaupach, Mergenthaler (Mergerter), Metzmann, Meschlinn, Pfister (der "Preuß"), Rebstock, Sailer, Scheffer, Schnaitmann, Schwilcke, Seibold, Thommen, Ungerlin, Weinbrenner, Weiprecht and Ziegler. Of these thirty-eight clan names, only three (Aldinger, Rebstock and Weiprecht), were mentioned in the preceeding centuries.
But a good third of these
thirty-five clans or their side-lines are still blooming in Fellbach after
nearly 400 years. These are: the Aldinger,
Schwilcke and Seibold. Of
these clans, the most numerous families today are the Seibold, followed by the Aldinger, Schnaitmann, Sailer, Mergenthaler and Frech.
Noting that an Aldinger
that has lived in Fellbach since at least the fifteenth century, we can
see that starting with the year 1492, the name Aldinger is mentioned very
often in documents and stockbooks of Cannstatt's Uffchurch (Uffkirche)
It is assumed that the ancestors
of this clan once lived in the village of Aldingen, near Cannstatt and
took their name from the village. The birth and death dates of Bentz
Aldinger cannot be researched further. He was obliged to tithe or give one-tenth to the Uffkirche. His son, Lorenz Aldinger, was possibly born about 1510 and died before
1569. He married in Fellbach for the second time in 1566. Calculating from Bentz Aldinger to the present day, at least sixteen or seventeen generations have born the name
Aldinger and lived in Fellbach.
At the end of the year 1954, there were 220 Aldingers in Fellbach, making them the second most numerous family. Although most of the Aldingers from Fellbach were wine growers and farmers, there are still members of the clan that were occupied in the local administration and other professions.
Johannes Aldinger, (1611-1676),
the son of the farmer, Hans Aldinger, (1579-1634), was the mayor of Fellbach
for 36 years (from 1652 to 1678). Also involved in the local
government from 1580 to 1590 were the farmer and Unterganger, Hans Aldinger (ca1539-1614); Michael Aldinger (1621 -ca1670); Hans Jerg Aldinger (1640-1693) and the
Chirurgus (barber) David Aldinger (1646-1731). When David Aldinger was young, he lived in India during the years 1670 to 1677. Also mentioned as a mayor and senator is
Jakob's son, Johann Georg Aldinger (1702-1778) and grandson Michael Aldinger (1734-1797).
In the list of Fellbach's
butchers are found early members of the Aldinger clan. Hans Jerg Aldinger's
son, Hans Jerg Aldinger (1663-1732); Michael's son, David Aldinger
(1668-1740); and David's son, Johann Georg Aldinger (1697-1768) were butchers. For a long time the butchers were solely occupied as house-butchers. Only since the
beginning of the nineteenth century did the slaughter on the their own bill and were able to sell sausage and meat.
Amongst the surgeons (barbers)
of Fellbach is found the previously mentioned David Aldinger (1646-1731).
He learned simple surgery during his stay in India (presumably
under Dutch duty). In May 1728, he and his wife Christine Barbara, celebrated their golden anniversary. Christine Barbara's maiden name was Burckh and she was from
Maulbronn. David Aldinger lived to the age of 86.
David Aldinger's unmarried
son, Johannes Aldinger (1684-1728), also practiced the profession of a
barber in Fellbach. He died at the age of 47. Johann Georg Aldinger's son
Georg Jakob Friedrich Aldinger (1744-1807) learned the art of rope-making and practiced it in Fellbach. Hans Jerg's son, Johannes Aldinger (1742-1808) was a cooper.
This profession is closely connected to that of the wine growers.
— Johannes' son, Hans Ulrich Aldinger (1654-1721) was born in Fellbach and rose in the year 1681 to the rank of the princely württembergian bailiff in Stetten in the Rems valley. In 1690 he became clerical administrator in Schorndorf and finally was Visitationsrat (visitation councillor ?) in Stuttgart. In 1689 during the kingdom war against France, 31 Fellbachers who belonged to the "country-selection", were quartered in Bretten for a time with the troops of the Schwäbische Kreis regiment. They experienced the misery of being captured at the end of July 1689 by the French in a surprise raid at night. They were marched through France to Catalonia, the Spanish mountain region.
Amongst these prisoners of war, was the son of Hans Jorg Aldinger, Hans Bernhard (1663-1738), a married man. He escaped from the prisoners' camp in Catalonia and through adventuresome circumstances and despite difficult privations, he returned to his family in Fellbach (see page 62). Since the second half of the nineteenth century, the members of the Fellbach Aldinger clan can now and then be found in writing and commercial professions. While skimming over the pages of the "Book of the clan Aldinger", published by the Aldinger clan through the parson Dr. Paul Aldinger (Kleinbottwar), one is not surprised to to find that very often an Aldinger from Fellbach married a female Aldinger. Also in the synopsis (published in 1934) of the emmigrants of Fellbach (between 1735 and 1930), the Aldinger's have the highest number of people that emmigrated between the years 1804 and 1927. This was 104 people.
Furthermore, the Auberlin clan might be mentioned here. Three of this family were members of the well-known Fellbach schoolmaster dynasty from 1756 to 1874. Whether the oldest known Auberlin, the wine farmer Balthas Auberlin I (also Houberlin) "der Alt", was born in Fellbach is not certain, but he died in Fellbach in 1585.
His son, Balthas Auberlin II, or "der Jung", (1552-1616) married Agnes Baur (1558-1615) in January of 1581 in Fellbach. His grandson, Balthasar Auberle III (1619-1684) occupied the post of honor "Gerichtsvervandter" (member of the municipal council), for many years. The son of the previously mentioned Johann Jakob Auberle (1662-1738) served his community for thirty years (1705-1735) as an part-time mayor. A younger brother of the mayor Johann Jakob Auberle, Hans Jorg Auberle (1675-1753), was a blacksmith in Fellbach. He was the father of the Johann Georg Auberle (born 1701, sixth generation) who was the schoolmaster in the nearby village of Endersbach. Johann Georg Auberle's marriage produced five sons and two daughters. The two oldest of these sons, Johann Jakob (born 1727, seventh generation) and Georg Daniel (1728-1784, seventh generation) now spelled their name as "Auberlen". Their father had possibly given them thorough instruction as schulinzipienten. Initially they were busy as dispensers and later employed as schoolmasters in Böblingen and in Fellbach. (See page 179-180 for information about the teacher dynasty of the family Auberlen.)
Another clan, the Bürkle (Bircklin, also Bürckhlin), has resided in Fellbach for more than 400 years. This clan name is presumably derived from the Old German name Burghart (burg = to save, to protect). This family was mentioned as early as 1350 as tribute men in old documents and "Urbaren". Mentioned were Claus Burkelin of Renningen near Leonberg and a Bürkelin in Oeffingen. A little later, this family name appears in Esslingen, in the area near Nürtingen and in Weil im Schönbuch. In the year 1495, a Wolfgang Bürkelin from Waiblingen graduated from the University of Tübingen.
So it is quite possible, that already at the end of the 15th or the beginning of the 16th century, a Bürckle was domiciled in Fellbach. It is true that since long time people there say:" When somebody's name is Bürckle, then he is or comes from Schmiden." But the first of this clan, appearing in the Schmiden's parish records since 1608, came to there from - Fellbach.
The oldest member of this clan as can be proved safely was Jakob Bürckhlin I, born around 1510, who was probably farmer and winefarmer and died before the year 1577; he had his second marriage the 14th of August 1571 with Agnes, a born Mertz.
A son of the first marriage of this Jakob Bürckhlin I, the Hans Bürklin (born around 1545, died before 1591) has married in Fellbach in September 1577 with Agatha, born Kerer (from Ofterdingen), and from this marriage rised in November 1582 Endriß (Andreas) Bürklin (1582—1636). This one has somewhere learned the handycraft of coach builder (if so in Fellbach is unsure), and being 25 years old went just a little bit north to open his workshop in the near village of Schmiden. There he also took a woman and in his first marriage on 23rd of August 1608 married the Anna, born Weber (1582 until 1624) native from Schmiden. Endriß and Anna Bürklin became then the first ancestors of the today (1954) 380 Bürkle from Schmiden, distributed in 130 Bürkle families. But also in Fellbach, the Bürkle stayed prospering since the end of the 16th century. However, amongst the people emmigrating from Fellbach in the 19th century there are also 21 Bürkle. Yet today the Bürkle from Fellbach, partly in the 13th and 14th generation starting with Jakob Burchlin I, have after all the 11th rank in the name frequency with 67 persons, who additionally have a high average age.
About the old clan of Frech in Fellbach is shortly noted down, that the oldest name owner that can be proved from the parishes, is the Endris Frech, who let baptize a child in the year 1565 and died on March 1590 in the age of 52. Before the year 1565 however had died a Michel Frech in Fellbach, whose living dates cannot be determined anymore. The oldest Frech-ancestor might have received his name due to good characteristics, because in the Middle High German language, "vrech" means courageous, brave and bold - in opposite to the nowadays meaning (cheeky). Amongst the previously mentioned Frech-descendants, we can find often the first name Endris. In the years between 1819 and 1860 have in all 10 persons emigrated to north America that had the name Frech, amongst them (1853) the winefarmer Johannes Frech including his wife and 4 children. In 1954 we could still count 38 Frech persons living in Fellbach, of which some however moved in from outside during the 20th century, and therefore are no direct descendants of the original Frech clan of Fellbach.
From the inhabitants of Fellbach, that are mentioned in the in the parish records in the 2nd half of the 16th century, we pick out now the Hauser, from whom we could after all in 1954 count 44 persons living in Fellbach.
Their clan name shows three kind of spelling during the back 400 years: Hauser, Hausser und Haußer. We do not know who was the first Hauser living in Fellbach or how he or his ancestor received this name. Perhaps the first one with this name was an especially economical householder (gut hausen = living economically). But it is also possible, that the first Fellbach Hauser came from a village called Hausen. Alone in the country of Württemberg we have 16 villages with this name, from which 3 of them are not too far from Fellbach; in whole Germany appear several hundreds of villages with this name.
Around the year 1550, there
were already 2 or 3 Hauser families. One of them, a winefarmer Hanß
Hauser (?-1614) occupied the function of mayor in the seventies of the
mentioned century. A Sebastian ("Basty") Hauser (1546—1626), presumably
a brother of the one mentioned above, was then more than 30 years mayor,
and additionally for a long time also Heiligenpfleger (administrating church
issues). Most of the members of the Hauser clan stayed truly in the profession
of winefarming, but at the end of the 16th century we come across
a Jakob Hauser (1554—1634), who practised shoemaking. Also his descendant
Hanß Hauser, who marrid in November 1669 Anna Barbara, born Schnaitmann,
carried on shoemaking. During the decades and centuries, the Hauser - as
before mentioned the Aldinger - became related to nearly all old Fellbach
Soon after the end of the 30-year war (1618-1648), there is again mentioned a winefarmer Martin Hausser, who had in two marriages a son and a daughter between 1652 and 1659.
His oldest son Hans Hausser (born 1654) propagated the present stem in Fellbach. His wife Agnes gave birth to four sons between 1680 and 1687, one of them was born with a harelip, as is mentioned in the certificate of baptism. The youngest of these four, with the same first name as father and grandfather, had with his wife Maria, born Schabel, eight children and has become the real ancestor of the today's wide spread family.
A winefarmer Johannes Hausser
(1779—1839) had with two wifes in summary thirteen children (with them
8 sons), one wife being Margarete Barbara, born Bürkle (1787—1855);
of these are 5 emmigrated to north America between 1847 and 1854: Johannes
(born 1811), Gottlob Benjamin (born 1824), Johann Christian (born 1825),
Beate Dorothea (born 1826) and Wilhelm Friedrich (born 1831). Finally is
mentioned, that a Gottfried Hauser (born in May 1829), the youngest son
of the winefarmer Johann Mich. Hauser (1786 —1876), became missionary,
traveled in 1856 to India, but deceased there already end of September
To the oldest clans mentioned
in Fellbach belongs also the Mergenthaler
(Mergentaler). The original spelling was "Mergerter". Märge (Merge)
is a popular form of the first name Maria. Persons with the surname Mergerter
(Mergenthaler) are already proved in Fellbach since the reformation, considerably
earlier for villages around Stuttgart and in the Rems valley. In a "Urbar"
is mentioned for the year 1350 under the Earl Eberhard the Greiner of Wirtemberg
(1315—1392) a Chuntzelin (Konrad) Mergerter in Hegnach.
150 years later (1494) are mentioned 5 Mergenthaler in Hegnach and 3 Mergerter in Hohenacker, and in the year 1525 a citizen with this name in Waiblingen. In the "Türkensteuer"-lists of 1545 were found names of Mergerter (Mergenthaler) seven of Hegnach, two of Neckarrems, two of Neustadt, four of Korb, six of Hohenacker and one of Leutenbach.
We might assume, that the first person with the surname Mergeter was a small-sized fee-farmer Konrad („Chuntzelin") of the farm Groß-Hegnach, who came 600 years ago from the "Frawen cloister in Marienthal zu Steinen" (near Steinheim/Murr), which is 12 kilometers bee-line far from Hegnach and burned totally down in January 1643. Due to this origin he received this nickname and later surname Märgeter (Marienthaler).
Among the fist entries in the 1558 starting baptism parish in Fellbach is listed the birth of son and heir Michel Mergenthaler II; it can be assumed, that his parents Michel I and Anna Mergenthaler, who baptized a little daughter Margaretha in March 1565, have been married in Fellbach. For the father Michel Mergenthaler I is also assumed that he was farmer and winefarmer, although he had been also mayor for several years.
To another Mergenthaler, the Jörg Mergenthaler, a little daughter is born in March 1565 by his housewife Anna.
A third Mergenthaler, the Andreas Mergenthaler, married the 31st of February 1565 the widdow Catharina, the "Michel Frech nachgelassene Wittib" (Michael Frech's bereaved widow). In May 1565 another Mergenthaler, the Conrad Mergenthaler II („the Conrad Mergenthaler's son") enters the married state with Margaretha, widdowed Thomma. Taking into account, that the Fellabch marriage book starts only in 1565 and the death book in 1582, than we can conclude from the facts above, that at least in the begin of the 16th century several Mergenthaler families domiciled in Fellbach and presumably moved in from the neighborhood. A Hanns Mergenthaler (1619—1681) was acting in Fellbach from 1654 till his death as a „konstanzischer Pfleger" (curator), who had to administrate the local ownings of the cloister Konstanz. In 1954, the 53 persons in 15 families named Mergenthaler that are living in Fellbach are only partly still "original" Fellbacher; also the descendants of the Mergerter mentioned 1545 in Hohenacker have come to Fellbach some generations ago and have settled down. Beneath farmers and winefarmers with this surname we find now also gardeners and other handycrafts.
The family Pfister
already mentioned in the oldest parish record, was obviously not
an old Fellbach clan. In September 1565, a Jakob Pfister II, "der Preiß"
(the prussian), (1543—1613) had married here a female Fellbacher. His father
Jakob Pfister I was presumably moved somewhere from Prussia, how can be
concluded from the fact, that all those Pfister (later spelled Pfisterer)
kept the nickname "Preiß" (also Preyß), till the one who lived
in a house in the "Vordere Lange Gasse" (front long lane), Hanns Pfisterer-Preyß
and with whom the clan died out in Fellbach in the second decade of the
18th century. Jakob Pfister II was member of the municipal county
for 40 years and also some years the mayor in Fellbach.
We get on to the clan of the Sailer (Sayler), which since the middle of the 16th century appear again and again in the parish records in Fellbach.
First of all we learn about a Mathis Sayler and his wife Anna, when they baptized their daughter in August 1558.
In November 1565 appears again a Mathis Sailer, who stepped before the marriage-altar with his bride Barbara. Another fifteen years later (1581) a Peter Sayler II from Schmiden married the spinster Anna, while in October 1594 a Joseph Sailer descending from Backnang (son of the deceased Balthas Sailer) marries in Fellbach the Agnes, born Rathmann. From these few statements can be concluded, that the clan connections of all those having moved earlier are somehow complicated and for sure do not go back to a single ancestor.
It is told about the Mathäus Sailer (1602—1645), being "mainzischer Pfleger" (curator) in Fellbach, that he has been stabbed the 6th of November 1645 by a soldier from Schorndorf in a "murderous manner" in the inn of Joachim Schnaitmann during the 30 years war. A Mathäus Sayler (1689—1735) was "konstanzischer Unterpfleger" for many years (sub-curator for Konstanz).
Then we step on a clan member who practised the handdycraft of rope making (Seiler) that fits good to his surname; it was this Johann Adam Sayler (1720—1750). A Mathäus Sayler (1731—1798) performed the function of an avocational mayor around 1780/90.
Especially known is the Johannes Sayler (1783—1849), who directed the destiny of the winefarmer's village for four years (starting 1845).
Through marriage, he has come to the possession of the edge house Hirsch- and Cannstatter street (Cannstatter Straße 9) and acted many years as a wine trader. In the year 1832 he became member of the municipal county, until he was elected to be mayor in 1845. The today's keeper of the one-line shop (founded in 1855) for beds, linen and trousseau Hch Sayler (Heinrich Sayler) is a grandcousin of the mayor Johann Sayler. Today there are 40 Sailer and Sayler families living in Fellbach; with their 100 persons they have the seventh rank in the name frequency.
Now we discuss the wide-spread Schnaitmann family. We do not know how the earliest Schnaitmann in Fellbach received his name. Perhaps he was born in the near-by village of Schnait, or he was a "man with Schnaid". (Schneid = courage). It could be supposed that the surname Schnaitmann originated in connection with the profession of the winegrower who is busy with schneiden (cutting) the vines. The Schneid man was then someone who knew something about the treatment of vines.
In the sixties and seventies of the sixteenth century, the winegrower Peter Schnaitmann was still living, the oldest known person with this name. His son Jakob Schnaitmann (born 1530), was married four times and had at least 9 children. He died in June 1587, about 58 years old.
A Jerg Schnaitmann ("jung") is mentioned in the year 1559. His father, Jerg Schnaitmann ("alt"), must have been alive at this time. Alt Jerg Schnaitmann's grandson, Jerg Schnaitmann III (about 1564-1597), was married in August of 1582 to Margareta Mergenthaler. Jakob Schnaitmann (called Jergen Jacklin) was possibly his brother. This Jakob Schnaitmann (about 1555-1591) married Anna Adam from Unterturkheim. Also there was a Zacharias ("alt") Schnaitmann who lived in Fellbach between 1576 and 1589 and a Hans Schnaitmann ("den Alten") who was born in 1537 and died in 1617.
His son, Jakob Schnaitmann (1571-1609) was an innkeeper ("Würth"). He stepped before the wedding altar with Catharina Linck in May 1596. After Jakob's death at the young age of 38 years, his stepbrother, Joachim Schnaitmann (1587-1648), took over the inn which was located near the town hall. Joachim was a cooper, host and inn-keeper ("Küffer, Gastgeber und Würth). Another inn-keeper is mentioned, Johan Schnaitmann (1584-1626). Last to be mentioned is Zacharias ("jung") Schnaitmann (about 1542-1591). He married the widow, Apollonia Kleinle (maiden name unknown). From the above list it is clear that even as early as the second half of the sixteenth century there were many male and female Schnaitmann's populating Fellbach.
Later we can find members of the Schnaitmann clan who practiced other professions. Johan Philipp Schnaitmann (1748-1808) set himself up as a farrier and armourer. He was the son of the winegrower, Johan Georg Schnaitmann.
Johann Friedrich Schnaitmann (1753-1839), the son of Simon Schnaitmann, was a nailmaker. Johann Friedrich's two sons and a grandson also practiced this profession until 1890. Another Johann Friedrich Schnaitmann (1754-1820), the son of the wine grower Johann Georg Schnaitmann, was a tailor. Yet another was a soap-boiler.
Also prominent in the community
was the father of the "Hahn'sche
Gemeinschaft" (community of Hahn), Johannes Schnaitmann, who was well-known in Fellbach and was nicknamed "Simonshannesle". He was the son of the wine grower Simon Schnaitmann (1720-1808) and his second wife, Agnes Katharina Hess (1738-1804). He died on the 12 of December 1847 at the ripe old age of 80. (see page 179).
Today the Schnaitmann's are ranked 5th in the list of surnames with a total 110 people in 45 families.
Lastly we will discuss the
clan of Seibold (Seybold). There are 300
individuals belonging to 110 families in Fellbach today, making them the number one surname. Not all of these Seybolds can be linked together as descendants of the Seybolds that have lived in Fellbach since the sixteenth century. People with this surname have also come from the Rems Valley and Berglen, where this name also occurs.
One of the first Seybolds in the Fellbach marriage records (which begin in 1565) was Hans Seybold, the son of Stoffel Seybold. It is calculated that he was born about 1542 and was the mayor of Fellbach for thirty years. He died the 24 January 1634 at the age of 90 years.
Michel Seybold (about 1584 until about 1649) was mayor of Fellbach for even a longer time than Hans Seybold. Conrad Seibold der Jüngere (the younger) was also the mayor for sixteen years (1636-1652). He was born 23 April 1596 in Fellbach and died between 1652 and 1656. Another Seybold was mayor for 24 years (1680-1704). This was Philipp Seybold (1628-1707).
Philipp Seybold (1698-1776) was the superior master of the bakeries for a long period of time. Johann Georg Seybold (1711-1783) was a butcher. Johann Martin Seybold (1731-1790) was a shoemaker and acted as a Heiligenpfleger (administrating church issues) for a long time. And finally, Conrad Seibold was an inn keeper in the middle of the eighteenth century.
For the time towards the end of the 16th century, especially after the 30 years war, following clans must be mentioned that came to Fellbach:
Other families can be found
in Fellbach. Some of them came to Fellbach
towards the end of the sixteenth century and especially after the Thirty Years War. Included among those families are the Bauerle, Ebinger, Ernst, Frey, and Hess (since 1627).
The Laipple were the third ranking family after the Seibold and Aldinger in 1954. In 1570 Melchior Leuplin moved to Fellbach from Aldingen. The Maile are ranked sixth with 108 people. In 1630, Hans Pfander (Martin's son) came from Mühlhausen in the Hegau and married Elisabetha Baur, the widow of Hans Keller. The Schächterle and Zerwecks came to Fellbach. The cooper Johannes Zerweck of Uhlbach married in 1640 in Fellbach.
Other clans moved to Fellbach later. But most of these families have lived in Fellbach for at least 200 years. Among them are: Beck (87 people), Daubenschmid, Elsäßer (31 people), Hägele (40 people), Häussermann, Hofmeister (81 people making them eleventh), Mack (came from Winterbach in 1750 and have 58 people), Off (came from Winnenden in 1685 with 63 people), Pfund (came from Rommelshausen), Rieger (82 people making them tenth), Rienth (56 people), Stoll (67 people) and the Volzer (39 people).
If you search among the ancestors of a long time Fellbach resident, you will nearly always find at least 20 or more of the previously mentioned surnames. Even around 1900, half of the village was related to each other. In the meantime, the village population has continually increased and has become a city. Therefore many new families have moved in. After WWII there was a migration of nations that brought new inhabitants to Fellbach with sometimes strange sounding surnames. Looking through the Fellbach address book of 1949, there were listed 2560 different surnames, with the old traditional surnames a small minority.